Thursday 25 August 2011

Be Prepared, Don't Be Scared During Tornadoes

Our main focus for this blog is preserving our Family and our dear Mother Earth.  

As Homesteaders, we monitor weather conditions very closely because it directly affects our survival.  Hail, High Winds, Frost, Rain, Drought and Extreme Temperatures. 

We have experienced bizarre weather here in Southern Ontario over the last few days.  We have felt earthquake tremors and been under Tornado warnings as recently as last night.

Everyone in our area was on edge last evening.  The weather forecast predicted that the conditions were very favourable for tornadoes.  The storm was not expected to arrive until late afternoon/evening.  It took all day before the storm finally approached.  We had amazing lightning, thunder, rain and wind. 

Earlier in the day, I prepared all of the children for an emergency situation.  We reviewed our "Buddy System" (each older child is assigned to a younger child) and all of the children assisted in ensuring that we had enough supplies such as diapers, towels, books and toys for their "Buddy".  I packed food, water, first aid supplies and blankets.  I then went outdoors and secured my plants and furniture.

Our plan was to head to the bathroom in the basement in the case that the weather became severe.  I had all of the older children draw pictures of their own rendition of what a Tornado looked like to them.  We had some interesting pictures which opened up a lot of discussion.  Rather than the children being afraid of a potentially dangerous weather situation, they felt assured and prepared and this alleviated a lot of anxiety. 

At 9:00 p.m. the weather did in fact become severe.  Our local weather station sent out a Tornado Warning advising that everyone should seek shelter in their basement if possible.  We were prepared, not scared.  My 3 year old daughter understood the safety procedures outlined earlier in the day so she was very prepared to go down to the bathroom for shelter and safety.  Our Golden Retriever very willingly followed my daughter downstairs.

In the end, our area did experience damage and power outages however, we were not afraid because we were prepared.  I have always been taught that fear is caused by a lack of information and preparation when something happens beyond our control.

I woke up this morning and went to check my gardens. All of the plants were lush and green because of the nitrogen from the severe lightning the night before.  My neighbour informed me that the air was so full of electricity that that plants and grass turned vibrantly green as a result.  I told him that I wish it would have turned those tomatoes red.





No comments:

Post a Comment