Tuesday 23 August 2011

Lavender Essentail Oil and Growing Pains

Lavender is one of my favourite plants.  Whenever I harvest Lavender , both my daughter and I have to take a moment and inhale the amazing aroma from the leaves.  Because we both prefer the colour purple, we enjoy the beautiful purple hue of the lavender flowers.


Many months ago, my 3 year old daughter presented with growing pains.  She was crying one evening while telling me that her legs hurt.  As a Mother and a Nurse, I recognized her complaints to be those of growing pains.  I do not recall having growing pains as a child but have seen other children complain of this during the bedtime hours. 

I quickly researched online for natural remedies to cure growing pains and found that Lavender Essential Oil is especially helpful in alleviating the aches while calming. 

You simply put a couple of drops of Lavender Essential Oil onto your hands and massage it into your child's legs.  I ask my daughter to show me the part of her legs that hurts.  I find that it is usually the calf area. 
Lavender has both a calming and therapeutic response in young children without having to resort to the use of medications such as Children's Tylenol or Advil.
Our cupboard is always well stocked with Lavender Essential Oil because we use it in our homemade Linen Sprays, Oatmeal and Lavender Soaps and Insect Repellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment