Sunday 6 October 2013

My Brother and I

 My brother is 12 months older than I am...  To be exact, 12 months and 12 days, but who's counting?
I barely remember that my mother required a double stroller for the two of us and we were very active toddlers. 

He is a dedicated sportsman who loves to hike, trek, kayak, camp and snowboard - he is also the most amazing self taught computer technician I have ever seen. 
Myself, I am a nurse, scavenger, crafter, sewer and designer.   Together, he and I make a great team - best of friends.  It has always been that way and we can't imagine a life otherwise.  Whatever he can't do, I can do and vice versa.  A Dream Team!

As we have become adults and still the best of friends, we endure the cold Canadian Winters together.  Rather than become hold up in the house, we want to get outdoors and go for a picnic.  Crazy Canucks?  We wouldn't have it any other way - besides, we have a name to live up to!

During the cold months of January and February, our family will trek for miles in the snow, ice and cold.  We pull my 5 year old daughter Ava in a sled along with our food and survival tools, then hike into the forest to look for a sheltered place to cook our lunch over an open fire.. 
If our gloves or mittens get wet, we dry them on twigs over an open fire.  Need to wash our hands?  No problem, I fill a metal pot with snow and place it alongside our fire and within an hour, we have good hot water to wash our hands. Does this sound appealing to many of you?

Ladies and gentleman...this is our reprieve from society.  This is our way to run away from society norms, expectations and rules.  We find our own way which is most certainly governed by the laws of Mother Nature.  This is our little escape in order to find balance in our lives. 

As we near the beginning of a Canadian Winter (and I have heard that the forecast is calling for a lot of snow this year), my brother and I are already getting excited about planning our weekend excursions.

                                              Ava and Uncle Don

No comments:

Post a Comment