Sunday 2 October 2011

Just Fix It!!!


Something occurred to me this morning as I was repairing one of the straps on one of my Reusable Shopping Bags with my sewing machine.  I first said to myself "hey look at me, I am repairing something that only cost me $1.00!  What for?"

I mean, why didn't I just toss the bag away and go buy a new one?  There are plenty of these bags in circulation right now and you can purchase one at your local Thrift Store for a mere 25 cents (I know because I bought 4 of them last week!)

The reason that I repaired my shopping bag this morning was because I liked it.  It has an unusual black and turqoise Damask pattern that I really like.  I was motivated to repair the bag because it meant something to me.  I then thought deeper...this bag has held many things over the past year such as groceries, library books, hardware store purchases and even our snacks.    Just because the seam on the strap had come unravelled, there was no reason to toss it away and add it to the Garbage Man's haul.

Interestingly enough, my brother works for a computer repair company called "Just Fix It".  The owner was thinking simply and logically when he created the name.  I think that he was making a great statement telling people to fix it if it's broken.  If it's not broken, then don't fix it!

While we were on the bus on our way home yesterday, I saw a huge floor model big screen television at the side of the curb.  There didn't appear to be any physical damage, the screen was also intact without any cracks.  Such a treasure for the first handy person came along and was able to lift it into their truck to tinker with and fix at home!
Boy, the original television owner really missed out yesterday.  He could have sold the television for likely $50 - $100.00 and then treated his family to a special treat - or better yet, bought something that the family needed! 

These days, too many people throw away something if it breaks or they want a newer model.  This adds to our overburdened waste management sites and clutters up our neighbourhood curbs.  Years ago, families either fixed what was broken or did without - clothing was mended, broken dishes reglued and equipment was repaired.  If something couldn't be repaired, it found new use, simple as that.

The next time before you decide to throw away something in the garbage that is broken or you have tired of it, think of other uses for the item.  Make jewellery, sew a quilt, add neat pieces of the item to your garden or paint them and make a really cool home accessory! 

If you can't imagine what you would do something, give it away or sell it using Freecycle.org or Kijiji (our favourite places to shop before we have to go and buy brand new for essential items).

No comments:

Post a Comment