Sunday 9 October 2011

A Child's Interpretation

Whew, after a full week of rest from canning and preserving, I was ready to start working again yesterday preparing our Thanksgiving Dinner.  Most families have Thanksgiving Dinner on the Sunday, however since we had a couple of birthdays to celebrate today, we decided to have our special dinner yesterday instead.

About an hour before the guests arrived and while the last of the pies were baking in the oven, I thought I would relax a bit in a warm bath. 

Ava had been playing with her dollhouse in my sewing room and suddenly marched into the bathroom to inform me of what she intended to wear for dinner that evening.  She had wanted to wear her "Sleeping Beauty" princess costume - long dress, long sleeves.  Given that the warm weather we had that day with the humidex closer to 30 degrees celcius, I suggested that she may want to wear something with short sleeves instead.  Well, apparently that was the wrong thing to tell an almost 4 year old who wanted to "dress and impress".

A series of headspinning shrieks came out of her mouth.  So much for the relaxing bath!
I said to Ava "it looks like we have a bit of a conflict on our hands".  I was not prepared for what happened next...

She held up her hands in the air for me to see and said "Look mama!  No I'm don't".  My lovely daughter was showing me that she had absolutely no conflict or anything else on her hands whatsoever.     

Well, I started to laugh and she looked puzzled, not entirely certain of what I found to be so funny.  This was enough of a distraction that she forgot all about the princess dress and ended up wearing a cute t-shirt and breezy summer dress.  In the end, everyone was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment