Saturday 28 January 2012

Food Under Fire - The Dangers of the Foods We Consume

Oh my word!  I could not wait to dive into this post!

Our local newspaper, http://www.therecord.com/  ran an article yesterday about a recall of Neilson Trutaste 2% Milk (4L bags) because they may contain "cleaning fluid".  The article stated that the milk would not smell or taste spoiled, but whoever consumed this tainted milk may feel nausea, upset stomach or vomiting.  Okay....so we all know that our foods are tested by each Company's Quality Assurance Department, but why were test results not back before this batch of product was put into distribution for the safety of the general public?


If that wasn't enough of a scare, I found a new article this evening about the infamous Hamburger-Making Giant, McDonald's who is discontinuing the use of their "Pink Slime", aka ammonium hydroxide.  This "crazy" chemical was being used to convert fatty cutoffs into beef fillers for their hamburgers..Nice... cow parts that are not fit for human consumption were being altered in order to fit into our hamburgers..How appetizing.  Doesn't it make you want to go and stand in line for a juicy burger this evening? 

Oh yes, and need I mention that Johnson & Johnson is going to phase out cancer causing chemicals in their baby lotions and shampoos over the coming months?  Let's give our heads a shake!!!!  Phasing out?  How did that ever get approved in the first place?

I had mentioned in a previous post that the Media and our Society have instilled a fear that prevents us from wanting to talk to strangers because they may be "dangerous". 
Well, why are we so trusting of products from Major Corporations?  Oh I know, I know (waving my hand wildy), because "our Government" is looking out for us!  Right!  What about our Children?  The future of our Generation?  My neighbour down the street would have an absolute "hay day" with this one!

I don't mean to sound cynical, however I am amazed at the consumers who will buy just about any type of food on the shelf because it is for sale - so it must be good for them.  I only ever see a minimum of 1 in about 100 people ever stopping to read the ingredients on a shelf label.

I can understand why so many of us are heading towards a Self-Sustaining, Home Grown Life-Style. It has taken a lot of us too many years to wake up and realize what is actually happening within our own food system. 

Hey, I've got a good one for you.  If our Canadian Government asked you to jump off McDonald's Golden Arches because it was safe, would you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment