Thursday 26 January 2012

Flour Power! What's the Difference Anyway?

As a daily Bread Baker, I buy a lot of Flour. Our family goes through about 10 kg/22 pounds of flour every 3 weeks.  I don't just bake bread, I make fruit loaves, muffins, tortillas, pie shells and cakes.  I also have to feed my sourdough starter on a frequent basis - every 5 hours!

We don't have any Gluten Allergies in our family and therefore choose to go with good old regular flour as opposed to using the more expensive Spelt/Rice/Potato flours.

When I first started making bread, I found myself at the grocery store wondering what the difference was between "Bleached" and "Unbleached" Flour.  I looked around and found a mature customer who appeared to be of retirement age and expected an Expert Opinion on the subject.  The lady did not know the difference between the two types of Flour!  I was somewhat surprised at this and decided to buy the "Unbleached Flour because it sounded safer.

I immediately went home and after unpacking my groceries, searched the Internet to find out more information. 

***It turns out that "Bleached" flour is just the way it sounds.  Chlorine based chemicals are used to bleach the flour to make whiter bread, cookies, pastries, etc. Why?  Because some people prefer the whitest of whites...Imagine!  Bleach with my Bread???  No Thank You!!!

"Unbleached" Flour has not been subjected to Chlorine and is the best and safest choice for those of us who would like to limit our exposure to chemicals.

I have heard from many people who prefer to use whole wheat flour and pasta because they find that there is a higher nutritional value - this is correct.  However, whole wheat flour and pasta are more expensive so prepare to keep your wallet open at the cash register.  Whole wheat flour contains the Bran and the Germ and will spoil much faster than good old white flour.

Good old white flour has been through a process in which the Bran and Wheat Germ have been removed. 
We have found an easy and inexpensive way to add nutrition to our flour.  We buy bags of Natural Bran and Wheat Germ for just over $1.00 a bag.  We just add about 1 tablespoon of each/per cup of white flour and there you go, instant nutrition at a fraction of the cost.

***It is important to note that Wheat Germ and Natural Bran should be kept in airtight containers in the refrigerator in order to preserve freshness.

No comments:

Post a Comment