Monday 26 September 2011

Extending the Season For Annual Herbs

As the saying goes, "All Good Things Must Come to an End".  I've always had a hard time with finality - mainly when it was related to something that I enjoyed.  My dear mother, god rest her soul must have had her hands full with me as a toddler because I never seemed to accept the answer "no".  I was the bargainer, the negotiator, the girl with endless possibilities.

Gardening really gets a person in touch with their inner self.  In an instant, your inner child and caregiver qualities come out at the same time.  How is that possible?  Try gardening and you will see for yourself. 

I get excited when I see the leaves and flowering buds of the vegetables and can hardly wait for their yields.  Then, I get my bearings and start to gently turn over leaves to look for slugs and other garden pests.  I make sure my plants get enough water, sunshine and nutrients.  I also protect them from wildlife and carefully cradle each member of the "harvest" like it is a newborn baby. 

I have to admit that I apply the above to my annual herbs.  I know that the herbs from my garden will provide us with an abundance of flavour to our dishes through the coming winter and want to prolong their growth as long as possible.

This past weekend was absolutely gorgeous.  It felt more like mid-August than late September.  The forecast for October predicts that the weather will be warmer than usual.  Yahoo!!!  On the downside, the weather prediction for this Winter means it is going to be colder than usual.  Oh well, at least I will be enjoying the preserved "treats" from my garden!

Having never gardened on this scale in my life, I decided to dig up my Annual Herbs and replant them into pots.  I had bought my annual herbs as seedlings at an Organic Sales this past Spring as opposed to starting from seed, so I am determined to get my money's worth and then some...

I have now put the newly potted herbs in my covered greenhouse which will protect them from the cold and frost that is only weeks away.  They will continue to thrive while the perennial herbs such as mint and oregano prepare to hibernate for the winter.
Namely, my Thyme and Sage were "slow to bolt" for some reason but I feel that they will thrive in their new greenhouse setting.  My mother would be proud!

                                                          Sage (Salvia)

                                                          Thyme
                                                                                   
Parsley


                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment