We picked up Grit for Marty and he is really into it. Grit is a combination of gravel, charcoal and oyster shell flakes to help birds with digestion. They don't produce acids as a human digestive tract does so they need Grit to help them breakdown and digest their feed. Now, had someone asked me if I knew what Grit was a week ago, I am certain that I would have come up with the wrong answer. This has been a wonderful journey for our family and Marty has touched our lives forever.
We have decided to dedicate this post to The Things We Love About Marty (my daughter had a lot of input into this one):
1. He never tries to peck at us when changing his bedding or replacing his food/water.
2. When he puffs out his feathers and spreads out his wings ( we think he's just showing off!)
3. He can actually turn his head around 180 degrees! This is way too cool...
4. The way he eats. Look out! The feed and grit becomes airborne!
5. He puts up with our singing - he's the only one.
6. His soft cooing noises. We always stop what we are doing to listen to this sound.
7. He's a Pigeon with Personality.
8. He puts up with our Golden Retriever's barking (I hope Marty doesn't learn to bark!)
9. When we talk to Marty, he will stretch his neck and cock his head to listen to us.
10. His willingness to survive and adapt - Hey who said living with us was easy?
It seems like the countdown has begun. I have been conversing with Marty's owner and his partner and we are looking releasing Marty this coming Saturday September 10, 2011 in the morning. I have checked the weather forecast and it looks like it is going to be a clear sunny day. I will continue to monitor the weather conditions as you know how Mother Nature can change her mind as most women do!